Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My First Blog


Is December the 21st going to be the end of the world as we know it? The Mayans are thought to have predicted it. Supposedly, Nostradamus foretold of a great tragedy somewhere around this time. People are flocking (no pun intended) to churches hoping to hedge their bets in case 'it' is the Rapture as described in the Bible. My own church has tripled in membership.

I have no idea, of course. But with all the hoopla in the media---2012 (the movie), Revolution (the TV show), documentaries on the History channel and so forth---it made me stop and take stock of my life. Just in case there is some truth to the prediction, I did not want to spend the rest of the time I have left doing the humdrum job I have had for the last twelve years and trying to fit a little writing into the spare time I have had between that boring job and taking care of my terminally ill father.

So, I quit. For the next year or so (if I make it through alive), I will be living off of my 401k, taking care of my parents and doing what I really love to do best...write.

Yes, I have jumped out of the frying pan and hopefully not right into the fire. It has been very scary, but very freeing at the same time. I am not completely looney. I have an offer to come back to that humdrum job within a year at the same pay and benefits if I happen to fall flat on my face. And, I have a novel coming out soon published by Oak Tree Press called Spooky Tells. It is my first book to be published without me having to pay for the pleasure.

My biggest handicap is that I am a novice at everything about being a writer except the writing itself. This is my first blog. I don't know how to tweet and I have just in the last few months built myself a face book page. I am trying to design myself a web page but I am failing miserably at the moment. If you were to pull up TanisRush.net you would likely laugh. But I guarantee that it will be done right as soon as I can find someone around here (Northwest Georgia) to fix it for me!

So, now you know a little something about the newbie at OTP. Any and all tips are welcome. And, of course, if you want to buy Spooky Tells when it comes out, that would be very welcome as well.

7 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Good post. One tip, after this, write your name at the end of the blog, that teeny tiny print that appears at the bottom automatically, just doesn't do the job, and since what blogging ia all a part of building name recognition, you really want people to see that name.

Marilyn

William Doonan said...

Hi Tanis,
Welcome to the show!
As a Maya archaeologist, I can promise that the world won't end in 2012 (thought I can't promise anything for 2013). Looking forward to reading your book.

susan furlong-bolliger said...

Great first post, Tanis. Good luck with the website and the new release!

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Welcome Tanis. Don't try to do everything at once; you'll be overwhelmed. Build your brand slowly but consistently is my advice. You'll learn along the way. And there is a lot to learn about blogging, facebook, google plus, etc. Fortunately, there is help from other OTP authors who have a great deal of experience, like Sunny and Marilyn and others. We all wish you well. Beryl

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Welcome Tanis. Don't try to do everything at once; you'll be overwhelmed. Build your brand slowly but consistently is my advice. You'll learn along the way. And there is a lot to learn about blogging, facebook, google plus, etc. Fortunately, there is help from other OTP authors who have a great deal of experience, like Sunny and Marilyn and others. We all wish you well. Beryl

Sunny Frazier said...

Tanis is part of our growing imprint, Mystic Oaks. I loved Spooky when it came across my desk, even got a bit excited at a pretty erotic scene (something I usually back away from, but she pulled it off and totally in context with the storyline).

While marketing seems daunting, if you willingly embrace it, you'll find it becomes almost as fun as writing. I feel like I'm throwing a fishing net out there and seeing how many readers I can pull in. I love a challenge! Don't try to do it all (I'm not a Twitter fan) but find what works for you and do that well.

James R. (Jim) Callan said...

Great post. And congratulations on making such a big jump. We're all pulling for you.