Monday, November 5, 2012


Since this is my first post on the blog of Oak Tree Press, I do have a confession to make. I never learned to type. Ever since I was a child I knew that I wanted to be a nurse, so in high school I took all the science courses. I never realized that someday I might need this skill.

 

 I always write my first draft in longhand and put the second draft into the computer using four fingers and looking at the keyboard. This is very laborious. Anyone reading this might wonder how I managed to write many journal articles, short stories, and six novels in this fashion. Well, I did.

 

Now I decided that it might be a benefit to have a Dragon, not the fire-breathing type, but the voice recognition software, so when someone asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said,” Buy me a Dragon.”

 

After two calls to tech support, and purchasing a new microphone, I am now learning to be proficient with my new software. I do have to remember, though, to tell it all the punctuation marks and when I need a new paragraph. But, with practice, I may soon become an expert.

8 comments:

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I've often wondered about that technology. Keep us posted on how it is working for you. Beryl

Los Angeles Dentist said...

Excellent Post !!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

It's not too late to learn to type.

G. B. Miller said...

I have that for my computer, and I use it mostly for transcribing what I've written out by longhand.

Still can't write anything original with it as I still got that mental block of trying to convert writing by typing to writing by voice.

Sally Carpenter said...

I took a touch typing class in high school, so I learned not to look at the paper while I type which makes composing at the computer difficult for me. I write the first draft long hand and type it into the computer--just like I used to type handwritten memos in offices! So even good typists use handwriting. Sounds like the Dragon is similar to using a dictaphone except a person doesn't type up the recorded words. Hope it works out well for you.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Ah, dictaphones. I remember them well. I had trouble transcribing the spoken word onto the typewriter. I guess we all compose in whatever way makes us comfortable. With me, the words seem to flow much easier from my brain through my fingers to the computer. Beryl

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Ah, dictaphones. I remember them well. I had trouble transcribing the spoken word onto the typewriter. I guess we all compose in whatever way makes us comfortable. With me, the words seem to flow much easier from my brain through my fingers to the computer. Beryl

Julie Luek said...

I spent a former career working with students with disabilities and training them to use Dragon. Each version gets better and more accurate with voice recognition. Once you get used to adding the punctuation and other notations that must be verbally added, it can be a great tool.