Monday, February 4, 2013

Who Let the Gremlins Loose?

As the time drew nearer for my latest Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel to come out--and I'm not really sure that's what I'd call the genre since I've created something a bit different--ARCs of Dangerous Impulses were sent out.

The manuscript itself had been heard and looked over and critiqued by my critique group who are good at catching typos, grammar errors, wrong character names, etc.  I went over it carefully more than once before sending it off to OTP. Our wonderful publisher went over it and sent me a PDF to check. I checked it carefully, found mistakes and sent them back. Those mistakes were corrected and I received another PDF. Checked again and found different mistakes.

Once the ARCs had been out awhile, I began hearing about one or two errors. Then my friend, who I will call eagle-eye, let me know she found a lot of mistakes. At my request, she sent back the ARC with the pages marked so that I could see the problems.

I sent these fixes on to the publisher and they were fixed. Another PDF came back to me. Oh, no, I couldn't believe it, after going over it carefully I found some different errors. How could this be? Guess what, those were corrected and I had another go around with a corrected manuscript--and yes, I found a couple more.

I'm not sure what the heck was going on. It has been most frustrating.

Hopefully, when the book actually comes out, the gremlins will leave it alone.

What have I learned from this?

1. Do a word find on character names I tend to change.

2. Look up the names of cars so that I spell them right. (I don't know cars at all and always ask hubby what kind of car would this kind of character drive and in the case of the car in this latest book, I spelled the name the way it sounded--wrong.)

3. Print out the galley proof. ( I did do that.) Read it aloud. (I do that at the critique group, but I need to do that when I'm proofing too.)

4. Take notes about anything that needs to be checked.

5. Don't try to do the whole thing at once.

6. Put it aside and go over it again.

To tell you the truth, I began to wonder about my writing ability after all that. Fortunately, those that read it liked it. Most got so involved in the story they didn't notice the errors.

I

Isn't this an amazing cover?

Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith




4 comments:

marja said...

I just went through the same thing, Marilyn. It feels good to know I'm not the only one who goes through this.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

This was the worst time I've ever had! Made me think maybe I was getting too old to write.

Lorna Collins - said...

My theory is that once a thing (anything) starts to roll downhill, it just picks up speed. Some work just seems doomed from the start. At least I learned this lesson at work, so I don't take it as personally as I used to. (Okay, I lied. I ALWAYS take it personally.)

Happens to everyone. Not fun, but we get through it.

Radine Trees Nehring said...

I just blame this sort of thing on computer elves.
My sympathy,
Radine