Friday, March 8, 2013

Just came back from my sixth trip to Ecuador ( I've also spent time in Colombia and Peru on these trips), five weeks in all, which is my shortest trip ever! I know Ecuador like the  back of my hand now... I've been all over the country , and especially have spent quite a bit of time in the Amazon, and glad to say that I have lots of indigenous friends there.
 It never ceases to amaze me, though, that when I come back from these journeys, how much of a better writer I become, even without knowing it! It's like it opens you up and totally shifts your perspective, shakes it up, and in a way, you become a much richer person for it. When I  went there my first time, I barely knew the language, didn't know anybody there and didn't know what i would do, but wound up staying six and a half months, travelling, volunteering on organic farms and indigenous/jungle projects. When I returned to New York, it was as if I  had discovered a whole other part of me that I didn't know even existed before, and it made itself evident, especially in my writing! At the time, I was in the middle of writing my memoir - The Edge of Whiteness (later published here originally by OTP), and it had such a profound effect on me that I could scarcely believe it. I later went back many times for long periods and many adventures, and each time it enriched my writing immensely. I suggest that every writer take journey  somewhere and I think you'll be  you'll be amazed at how it profoundly affects your writing!

The Edge of Whiteness  - www.joemontaperto.com

3 comments:

jrlindermuth said...

This definitely sounds like a way to get a new perspective on life.

Billie Johnson said...

Excellent comments, Joe. I had no idea you were such a world traveler!

Billie

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I totally agree, Joe. Traveling provides a new and different perspective. I have traveled throughout the world to Africa, Southeast Asia, Europe, Russia, South America. and Australia. Each time, I find new things to write about and a better appreciation of our world and other cultures. Once you have the travel bug, you're hooked. Beryl