Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy April Fools’ Day


As a kid I loved April 1. This gave me a chance to pull pranks on my parents. I did all the traditional stuff like switching salt and sugar, which didn’t amuse my dad in the least. Now that I’m an author, I’ve outgrown all of that. Or have I?

Let me introduce myself. I’m Mike Befeler, and I have four published novels in the Paul Jacobson Geezer lit Mystery Series, including Retirement Homes Are Murder, Living with Your Kids Is Murder, Senior Moments Are Murder, and Cruising in Your Eighties Is Murder. Two of these have been finalists for The Lefty Award for best humorous mystery. My first novel with Oak Tree Press, The V V Agency, will be published this month.

The V V Agency is a serious, true crime novel that introduces the transvictus, a shape-shifter who transforms between man and woman when having sex. I’m sure you have heard many reports of this unusual type of person and may even have a relative who exhibits this trait. April Fools.

The V V Agency is really a spoof of the private investigator crime novel. It is humorous and does introduce the transvictus. Van and Vanna run a PI agency, but no one ever sees them together for one simple reason—having sex transforms one into the other. This presents some unusual challenges for his and her love life.

Van and Vanna undertake a murder investigation of a client who is accused of killing her rich and much older husband.

To aid their investigation they take advantage of one other characteristic of a transvictus. Nudity renders Van or Vanna (whichever happens to be in existence at the moment) invisible. This is a useful characteristic for investigators, since they can go into the office of Detective Mulhaney, undetected, any time they want to check on the progress of the murder case. They can also visit the houses of suspects with no need for an invitation.

If you enjoy a mystery with quirky characters and unusual twists, you’ll get a kick out of The V V Agency. Of course, there is no such thing as a transvictus. Or is there?



Mike Befeler

3 comments:

marja said...

I like the sound of your Geezer mysteries. I'll have to think about your new book for a few minutes. Okay, thought about it. Sounds good, and I love humor.
Marja McGraw

Mike said...

Thsnks, Marja. Keep laughing.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I had the opportunity to read this book aleady, it is a kick--and such a zany idea. Who says there are no new plots--folks, this one is new!