Monday, April 29, 2013

Library Author Open Houses


I’ve had an opportunity to participate in a number of author open houses at libraries. Yesterday, I attended one at the Englewood Library. Approximately fifty Colorado authors who had published a book within the last year participated. The library staff fed us lunch, and in the afternoon we manned (or womaned) tables to pitch our books to library patrons. People purchased our books using a voucher system. We gave out a slip with the name of the book and price. The patron would then take the voucher to the cashier, pay for the book, get the voucher stamped, return the stamped voucher to the author and pick up the signed book. At the end of the afternoon, we authors turned in the vouchers, and the library will send us checks for the books sold.

I enjoy these events. It’s an opportunity to chat with interested readers, meet new and existing fans and schmooze with fellow writers. I carpooled with Lynda Hilburn, who writes a vampire shrink paranormal series. She gave me some good ideas since I’ve just come out with my first paranormal mystery, The V V Agency, through Oak Tree Press. I received my first copies on Saturday, so this was the first time I had a chance to hand sell the book. A lot of fun.

I also sold books from my geezer-lit mystery series. The picture below shows me with fellow mystery/crime author Tom Adair, who is a former CSI. He’s also spoken twice at the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Mystery Writers of America, most recently conducting a terrific fingerprint workshop.



Mike Befeler

6 comments:

Sunny Frazier said...

LOVE the VV book, so excited to add it to our Mystic Oaks line! Much success and will see you at LCC Monterey, 2014.

Mike said...

Sunny,
Looking forward to LCC2014 in Monterey. I'll be moderating the Meet the New Authors Breakfast again, so encourage all the new Oak Tree Press mystery writers to attend.
Mike Befeler

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Your library has a great idea, and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Meeting "your" public is a marvelous experience. I have two opportunities this month at events in San Luis Obispo County, one organized by our local art museum next weekend and the other by the city of Paso Robles during Memorial Day weekend. I'm looking forward to both events. Beryl

Beryl Reichenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Beryl,
You're right. Library events are great opportunities.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Wow, that sounds like a great event.