Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spenser novels stay alive -- Boston Globe article

Hi Folks:

Interesting article in today's Boston Globe Magazine on how the family of the late Robert B. Parker has kept the series going. Ace Atkins, as many of you may know, has been writing the Spenser novels since Parker passed away.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2013/05/11/how-robert-parker-family-has-ensured-that-spenser-adventures-continue/Ae3xng4kdtXGUi1lawut3L/story.html

I'm still a bit iffy about the whole thing. I read the first Spenser novel by Atkins/Parker and liked it. I'll most likely read the second one, just released. Still it's a bit ... well, strange-ish. If there is such a word.

And as the article makes clear, this move is not unprecedented in book publishing.

What say all of you?

4 comments:

Billie Johnson said...

Well for me, Spenser lives. I refuse to accept that he is no longer with us, and I continue to read his novels over and over, and have no plans to stop. They are all in a carton in my bedroom, and I just finished THE PROFESSIONAL for the probably 10th time.

Billie

Terry Ambrose said...

If the new writer does justice to the series, as Atkins did, then I have no problem with someone new taking on a good character and series.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I loved Spencer too, but haven't read the new novels. So many novels these days are not written by the people on the cover. Interesting world we live in.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Robert B. Parker is one of my all-time favorite authors. My favorite of his characters is Jessie Stone. I understand that Tom Selleck has been writing the screen plays for the t.v. movies since the death of RBP, Jr. If that's true, I hope he continues. Anyway his characters can be kept alive, in my opinion, is good.