Sunday, June 9, 2013

Today's Blogger: Shirley Skufca Hickman


I’m a writing junkie. I’m addicted to words, selling books and praise. Promoting my romance novel, Sarah Darlin’ continues to be surprising and fun. A retired policemen from L.A. loved the book and wants a sequel.

I spoke to the Unitarian Fellowship on Mother’s Day, and at first I wondered how I could connect the holiday with my novel, but then I thought about my mother and how she supported whatever I wanted to do. She always told me, “You can do anything you want as long as you’re willing to work hard.” 

The Porterville Art Association carries my books in their gift shop for a 20% profit. They also opened the gallery for me on Sunday for my interview for the television show, California Life with Heather Dawson, which reaches eleven million homes. Before the interview I wrote a list of questions for the reporter to help me focus on what I wanted to say. I told the reporter to ignore the list if he wished, but he used all of the questions. The tape will be shown after it is edited.

I offered my quilt club 20% of the profit on the sale of my books. This worked well in the past and enlarged my readership. Some people who never go into a bookstore or online will buy a book to support their clubs.

Since two articles have appeared in our local paper about my books, I’ve had people ask to buy them when I’m at the market, exercising, and even the lady at UPS wanted one. Now I carry a few copies in my car.

I am very proud of Sarah Darlin’ and look forward to the debut of Fall in Love with an Orange Tree or a Book.

Shirley Skufca Hickman

1 comment:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I am so thrilled for you, Shirley. And for those who do not know, Shirley started the Porterville Writers Workshop long years ago. I've been a member since I came to Porterville.