Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Following Directions

It seems odd to me that any writer would not take the time to read directions and follow them, but I keep seeing it happening.

One of the biggies is when I'm have a guest blogger. I always ask for a bio, a .jpg of the book cover and one of the person, any links like to a website, Twitter, Facebook, a buy the book link, and of course a post for the blog. Too many times I have to ask for things that are missing.

Another is sending bios in for a conference. Most of the big cons (Left Coast Crime, Bouchercon, etc.) just put what they want on their website and it's up to get it in. If you don't, you're out of luck. They all have a strict word count for you to follow. If you go over, the extra will be lopped off.

Word count is important for some blogs. For mine, I don't state a word count--but I do know shorter is better than long. If someone asks for a certain number of words, they mean it.

And of course it's the same for short stories and articles. If you don't stay under the word count, what you've written won't be printed.

Granted some directions are not all that easy to follow, but if you have a question about them, ask. It's better to do that than forge ahead and be wrong.

And that's the end of my rant. I've been extremely busy lately trying to plan the promo for my next Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery and writing the next Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel--while getting everything together for the PSWA program. This is my last year of planning the program and I want it to be a good one. Of course it will be over by the time this post is published.

Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith


No comments: