Sunday, September 1, 2013

Balancing Work, Life, and Writing.

Balancing work, life, and writing is very difficult, but it was even more difficult this week and contributed to me missing a blog post. I thought a piece about managing everything would be appropriate.

My two boys started school, and my wife went back to work.  This was a major shift in the house and is always stressful for everyone involved.  Then, along with my regular work week, I worked forty four hours of overtime.  This means I was able to see my family one time the entire week.  This hard work equated to the apprehension of three murder suspects, an armed robbery suspect, and locating a missing child.  I also served seven search warrants, which equated to three more arrests, and a stolen gun off the streets. Consequently, I did not have time to write, edit, or do much promoting.  I did have two great interviews come out today, but that information was submitted three weeks ago.

Normally, I find a way to make everything work out.  This week, I did not. And, it taught me a valuable lesson.  Appreciate every moment you get with your family and friends.  If blogs, writing, editing, promoting, and all the other stuff don't get done, it's okay.  As long as we do the best we can do, and feel comfortable in our own skin, then it's a good day.  Deadlines are important, I get that, but focusing on our own health just means more to me.  I risked my life so many times this week to catch bad guys that even a seasoned veteran like me was shell-shocked.  Somehow, even the little i-phone alert reminding me of a blog I was suppose to do didn't even register.

My advice? Do what you can do and hope that it is enough.  If it isn't, accept this fact and move on.  We only get one shot at life, and no matter what we choose to do with it, we should always find happiness, laughter, and quality time with our loved ones.

C.L. Swinney

9 comments:

Billie Johnson said...

Excellent thoughts, Chris..thanks for sharing and thanks for your service to the community.

Shalanna said...

Do the best you can, and that's all you can do.

Isn't it the truth!

My family forgets that I have (physical) limitations, and often thinks first of what THEY want or would like to have or do. I end up having to remind them that I'm not a robot and don't have any robot helpers (why don't we have Rosie the Robot from the Jetsons instead of all these GPS units! And WHERE is my flying car?!). I have to remind them that I have just driven them across town, stopped in at two stores, run by a friend's house for them (to drop something off or pick up something), and am EXHAUSTED from all the running in and out while they sat in the car with the A/C going. They are never fazed or daunted, but I can't feel guilty about not being able to do everything for them.

When I sit down to write, they really feel cheated. That's partly because I don't make lots of money and I'm not "famous" for any serious value of fame. But I don't believe I am cheating them. I am doing the best I can, and then if I have to sit down at the piano and feed my soul with Beethoven, Schubert, or Mozart, so be it. When I sit down to write, I believe that I am fulfilling my destiny and accomplishing my mission in life. I tell them this and let them laugh. It doesn't matter, as long as *I* know.

Thank you, Chris, for your sacrificial service as an officer of the law. What you do has far-reaching good effects that you'll probably never hear about, but YOU will know it's out there . . . much as a writer knows his or her work is reaching those whose lives would otherwise never be touched by ours.

C.L. Swinney said...

You bet Billie and Shalanna! Have a great Labor Day.

C.L. Swinney said...

You bet Billie and Shalanna! Have a great Labor Day.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Why isn't this showing up in front of the Friday post? I had to keep scrolling down to find this. Good post--truly, Chris, I don't know how you do what you do, except that you're young.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Being married to a 42-year veteran police officer, I understand your position perfectly. And God bless you for the extra shift and all of the wonderful things you accomplished this week as a law enforcement officer. I'm surprised that you even have the time to write or the energy. God bless and protect you as you go about your job.

C.L. Swinney said...

Hey Marilyn, I don't know how I get shuffled down when I do posts on this blog. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think the only thing that keeps me going is the age thing. I've determined I will sleep when I'm buried. Can't wait to see you next book!

C.L. Swinney said...

Thanks for stopping by Jackie! Please tell your husband THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR his service. All in blue have to stick together. I appreciate your kind words and support. Rest assured, I intend to make it home every shift. The bad guys better know that.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Demands on our time are never ending. I hope you can take a few minutes, Chris, for yourself our of your busy schedule. And you are right, laughter is very important. Beryl