Sunday, September 1, 2013

Be A Square


Book signings are an important way to connect with old and new readers. Whenever I have a signing close to home, I know my friends and relatives will attend. They either pay with cash or a check. Obviously, I have no problem accepting a check from people I know. However, if I’m out of town doing a signing and someone wants to pay with a check, I take a risk that the person’s check might bounce.

Last year I signed up with a new service that allows me to accept credit cards for payment. I did this because I was losing sales. People looked at my books and expressed an interest until I told them I can’t accept credit cards. After hearing that, they’d put the books down and walk away, leaving me to wonder: what if?

Since I’ve been accepting credit cards, my sales have increased. I proudly have a sign on my table announcing that I accept MasterCard, etc. How do I do it? Well, there are several different outlets that utilize mobile card readers. I use Square Reader. Just plug it into your Smartphone, swipe the credit card, and you’re in business.

You pay 2.75% per swipe for all major credit cards—there are no other fees. The money is deposited into your bank account within 1 – 2 business days. If the purchase is less than $25.00, no signature is needed. If it’s over, the customer simply signs on your Smartphone. If they want a receipt, you send it to their email address. Simple!

I sometimes use the Square Reader for other things. If I had to purchase some things for my daughter at her request, she pays me back with her credit card swipe on my phone.

Do yourself a favor and look into this handy payment tool. If you do book signings, you’ll definitely want to have one.

4 comments:

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Thanks for recommending this little gizmo, John. I've wondered about how effective it might be. However, I first must change to a smart phone because I'm still using my old Nokia flip job or as my friends who use something similar refer to them, a dumb phone.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Thanks for recommending this little gizmo, John. I've wondered about how effective it might be. However, I first must change to a smart phone because I'm still using my old Nokia flip job or as my friends who use something similar refer to them, a dumb phone.

Billie Johnson said...

I just qualified for an upgrade to a smartphone...so this gizmo can go with us to Portland WORDSTOCK...I've seen it used in a number of settings and been its customer too...and I think they are just slick little items!

Billie

Beryl Reichenberg said...

So far all my events where I sell books has been in a venue where someone else handles the money - bookstore, toy store, etc. and unfortunately i don't have a smart phone. But it is nice to hear about your positive experience. Thanks for the information. Beryl