Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reality Check from the NYTimes...sob

Terrific article in the NYTimes about authors, publishing, the publishing world now, gasp, and reality:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/business/cuckoos-calling-reveals-long-odds-for-new-authors.html

The not-so-surprising, but disappointing, point in the article to me was that nothing seems to have changed. Nothing seems different from when I started out twenty years ago. Even with all the new technologies, the upheavals at the big publishing houses, the seemingly limitless opportunities for authors to "get their books out there,"online and off,  the acceptance of small publishers, and even of self-publishing, the bottom line (at least in this article) is that you've gotta have a NAME!

I recall a quote by Kurt Vonnegut from the 80s (!), and I will paraphrase since his vernacular is salty for sure, that if you're a movie star or...uhh...in lust with a dog, you can get published.

I've been lucky to be with three traditional Independent publishers (as they used to be called before  self-published authors adopted the term), but having a NAME has always escaped me!

Rich and famous? Hardly! But I've certainly met a lot of fascinating people, gotten some super reviews, worked hard, gone to interesting conferences, and had a lot of fun.

Kit

the Margot & Max mystery series


1 comment:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

No big name for me either--but I love writing and I've met some great people along the way, like you, Kit!