Sunday, September 29, 2013

REALLY, MORE SALINGER BOOKS?

REALLY, MORE SALINGER BOOKS? The Associated Press reports that the authors of a new J. D. Salinger biography are claiming they have cracked one of publishing greatest mysteries; what “The Catcher in the Rye” novelist was working on during the last half century of his life. The Salinger’s books would revisit “Catcher” protagonist Holden Caulfield and draw on Salinger’s World War II years, and his immersion in Eastern Religion. The material also will feature new stories about the Glass family of “Franny and Zooey” and other Salinger works. I just reread Catcher in the Rye and marvel at what I feel is a great piece of work. Even though I’m a fan of Salinger, do we as authors want writers messing with our work, our lives, posthumously? Is the intent to bring new work which they feel is important, or is it to make money off a famous author’s name. Either way I will be tuned to PBS to view the documentary this fall. Will you be?

WALTER W. LUCE was born in Vermont where he still spends his summers. He has been a successful real estate developer in Florida, Georgia, and California. He lives in the Palm Springs, California area with his wife Bonnie, where he wrote his first novel of five, Eva Pennington. He is the oldest of seven. He graduated from Braintree Randolph Union High School in 1962, and attended Miami Dade Junior college after being honorably discharged from the Army in 1967. His hobbies are writing, running and golf.










5 comments:

Amy Bennett said...

I would guess the phenomena started with V.C. Andrews... the longer she's been dead, the more books her estate releases under her name. And the more money she (or rather, her name) makes for her estate!

Personally, I don't think I'd like to have anyone carry on my stories unless they knew me intimately enough to know my characters the way I knew (and wrote) them. And messing with a classic literary figure like Holden Caulfield just strikes me as wrong. It's the reason I could never bring myself to read "Scarlet"... Margaret Mitchell told all there was to tell of her life in "Gone With the Wind" and anyone else "continuing" the story implies that Ms. Mitchell left something out of her masterpiece.

Billie Johnson said...

Amy, I confess to reading and enjoying SCARLET!! Clearly, it was not Margaret Mitchell, but I enjoyed seeing what happened (at least to another author's vision) to the characters after that fabulous first book ended!

I am not sure how I might feel about Holden Caufield, though...and so far I have not read any of the carry-on from the Robert B. Parker novels....we'll see!

Thanks for a thought-provoking post, Walter!

Billie

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Good post, Walter. Not sure how I feel about this, except when I'm dead I won't care.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Thanks, Marilyn for putting all this in perspective. I guess I feel that we should let Holden Caulfield rest in peace. Beryl

Beryl Reichenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.