Monday, October 14, 2013

Creativity Has Many Forms


Creating is as normal to me as eating and sleeping. I am an artist as well as an author and illustrator of children’s books. When I become tired of being a wordsmith and sitting at the computer, I rest my brain by creating a new handmade paper basket, book art form or photo collage.  I find the new activity feeds back into my writing, whether freeing a road block or generating new ideas and directions. It’s as if my mind is on idle or cruise control for a while.  My hands are busy, and my focus is elsewhere. Some of us may cook, sew, garden or paint to exercise our creative spirit when not writing. Whatever other activity we choose, it serves to refocus our attention.  

My writing brain is not totally disengaged, however. Working in the background, it is just not under pressure to find that perfect turn of phrase or that intriguing plot twist.  I’ve turned off my computer or put my pen down, unchaining my mind, allowing it to roam free.  In those moments, new connections are made, and new ideas are developed. When I restart my computer, the words flow freely again. 

I wonder if you have had a similar experience and what activities you use to free your creative spirit. 

Beryl Reichenberg, Children’s Book Author and Illustrator and Artist




View my children’s books at www.berylreichenberg.com or www.Amazon.com

View my Fiber Art and other art pieces at www.berylreichenbergart.com

Children's Books Published by Oak Tree Press include 
The Mysterious Case of the Missing Birthday Cake; When 
Caterpillars Dream; Butterfly Girls; Ants on a Log and Camouflage






                                                                               

2 comments:

Julie Luek said...

I wrote an article for WOW (Women on Writing) in their last issue and had the honor of interviewing a writing coach. She suggested engaging our right brain in some way to loosen the creativity. I think this is completely true.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Thank you, Julie, for your comment. There are many paths to creativity, and they often converge. Beryl