Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Planning Promotion

As most of you know, I have two publishers for my two series, Oak Tree Press and Mundania Press.

Of course OTP publishes my Rocky Bluff P.D. crime series and the latest is Dangerous Impulses.


For each of my series when a new book is soon to make an appearance, I start planning the promotion.

For the last few years, I've planned a blog tour for each of my books--exhausting, but certainly a good exercise for using writing skills as each blog host wants something different. (And if they don't, they should.) Of course every post, whether it's about the book of an interview or something to do with the craft of writing, it must include a book blurb, the cover, you bio, and a photo of yourself.

Lately, I've been adding a different photo on each site so it won't be boring for someone who is going from blog post to blog post. (I always have a contest to reward the person who visits the most blogs.) When the blog tour is going on, it's important to visit the blog several times a day and reply to each commenter and in my case, keep track of each one. (Time consuming, yes, but necessary.)

Here's one I've used.

 I'm going to appear at two new bookstores, one in Clovis, CA The Book Barn and another in Oakhurst, CA, Branches Books and Gifts. And I've got a date lined up with a book club, and a booth at an Art Fair.

I always order business cards with the cover of the latest book on the front and information on the back. I also like to get magnetic signs with the book cover for my car.

There are a few more things I plan to do, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Because most of this happens in October, the same time I'm going with our publisher, Billie Johnson, to Wordstock in Portland and I'll be gone for quite a few days, I'm doing as much ahead of time as possible (including this blog post).

And yes, I'll be promoting both series everywhere except for at Wordstock where I'll concentrate on my RBPD books.

Marilyn



3 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

And I've been without a computer for the last few days. Other things have gone wrong too.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beryl Reichenberg said...

I notice how busy you've been from the Roundup. You are showing us the way to market at full speed. Good luck with your new books. Beryl