Wednesday, November 27, 2013

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN LIFE INTERVENES?




Fate has recently decided to intervene in my life to the point where my personal muse is simply sitting exhausted in the corner with a perplexed look on its face, wondering how in the world to get my attention in order to inspire me to write.  First of all, my husband recently had to have shoulder surgery and before he was completely recovered, I had to have arthroscopic knee surgery for a torn medial meniscus.  There are 15 steps in the flight of stairs that stood between me and our office and the computers for a week or two.  But that wasn't to be the end of life deciding to step into my world and complicate it.

On Sunday the 17th, my daughter called to tell me that there had been an explosion in a silver mine eight miles up the mountain from town and that my 23-year-old grandson, Kyle, had been injured and was in an ambulance on the way to a hospital.  Kyle is both a hard-rock miner and a fireman and is my son's son.  My book "We Are Different Now" was written after I lost my oldest grandson, Pete, (son of my daughter) to a 100-foot fall from a mountain ledge in the pitch black of night on this very same road at Mile Marker #3.    So, as you can imagine, my world was completely upside down until I received a call from my daughter-in-law, several hours later, to tell me that Kyle was being released from the hospital and they were heading home.  Kyle had been unconscious twice from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Unfortunately, two of his comrades lost their lives in this accident and 22 men were injured.  There are heroic stories to be told about this event, but that's for another time.

As soon as that accident ended for our amazing first responders, there was an avalanche that trapped two people who were lucky enough to self rescue.  And on the very heels of that fiasco, a 60-year-old man   died in a restaurant on Main Street.

But fate was not yet finished cavorting with our little Colorado mountain town.  On Thursday of that same week, early in the morning, we received a reverse 911 call, which was rather frantic with the land line and both our cell phones all ringing at the same time.  A local 23-year-old woman, beautiful, sweet and tremendously talented,  had been missing since 1:30 p.m. the previous day and the search was on.  Unfortunately, her body was soon discovered were she had, apparently, fallen while hiking alone.  Her mother is getting ready to bury a daughter for the second time in a couple of years, which has to be an agony that borders on  unbearable.

So, my question is this.  What do you do when life intervenes and your mind is so busy that you cannot think of anything to write, nor do you have much time or the privacy in which to do so and writing is what you do?  The marketing of my book, for the most part, simply had to go on hold.  I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts on this subject because I know that I'm not the only one that has had this experience.  So, I'd love it if you'd  leave a comment and tell me what you think.



"We Are Different Now"  by Jackie Taylor Zortman is available on www.Amazon.com, www.BN.com and www.shopOTPbooks.com.  She is also a contributing author to "Felons, Flames & Ambulance Rides".


12 comments:

Walter Luce said...

Jackie, When tragedy strikes or over takes us I pause and reflect on what in my life is good. I then import those feelings, lift my chin and try and make those around me that I care about feel better. Writing might be a passion but when those things happen to you it okay to say I need to heal and start again. My heart goes out to you and yours. Walt

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Thank you for sharing your wisdom on this subject with me, Walter. Many blessings to you and your family as we celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Jackie

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Sorry to hear about your recent trials, Jackie. When life interferes with our creative muse, we are entitled to take a breather from writing and deal with the immediate. Beryl

Anonymous said...

Be as patient, understanding, and gentle with yourself as you would be someone else! Give yourself time to regroup and to heal, both physically and emotionally. The words will find their way onto a piece of paper soon enough; in fact, they will insist on being written. Until then...Light, Love, and Healing!
Linda

John M. Wills said...

I would do the same as you have done, Jackie. I would concentrate on life. Here's hoping both you and your hubby enjoy quick recoveries. Happy Thanksgiving.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

You've had some great advice, Jackie. Most of all, you need to heal, first and foremost.

Bonnie B.A. Kelly said...

You would get time off from what some people call, "a real job" when tragedy strikes. They make it sound like we who write don't really work, but as we know being creative is not an easy thing even when life is running along smoothly. I find it impossible to be creative and find humor in things when emergencies pop up in my life.
It would seem that if anyone deserves a break it would be you.
A lot of times after we deal with the hard spells we come back stronger than before and our work sees a big improvement because experiences both bad and good help us to grow.
So, let life intervene, embrace it and when the time is right you will use it.
My best to you.
Bonnie.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

To Beryl,
Thank you for leaving such a logical comment. Sometimes, when we are under the gun, so to speak, we forget to use it. This is so late because we got caught under the rip-tide of Thanksgiving.

Jackie

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

To Anonymous,
I'm anxious for those words to insist on being written. I miss having the time and energy to write, so look forward to the winter months again.

Jackie

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

John,
It seems like we are both recovering well, but the timing for these surgeries wasn't convenient this time. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Jackie

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Marilyn,
That's very good advice, put succinctly. Thank you for commenting.

Jackie

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Bonnie,
Just between me and thee, I think that writing IS a real job. Like any of the other arts, I don't think those who read books really understand how much work goes into one. It's been a real eye opener for me. Thank you for the great advice.

Jackie