Thursday, February 20, 2014

In Praise of James Patterson

In case you missed it (or ICYMI, as you hip kids like to say):

James Patterson has done a very generous thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/business/media/james-patterson-giving-cash-to-bookstores.html?action=click&contentCollection=Books&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Patterson is giving various independent bookstores personal grants. As he put it in a NY Times story:

“I do think it’s essential for kids to read more broadly. And people just need to go into bookstores more. It’s not top of mind as much as it used to be.”

I've only read one or two of his books but feel as if I owe him a few more sales after reading this.

Bravo, Mr. Patterson.

3 comments:

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

I've read other things about Patterson's outreach efforts. It's great to find someone who uses his name and influence for worthy projects. I got tired of him, but I think it's time to revisit him and his newer books. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

It's great to hear that one of my favorite authors is also doing such good things in his private life. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

We all need to support independent bookstores. They are feeling the pinch from Amazon and B & N. Thanks to Jim for his help. Beryl