Sunday, April 20, 2014

SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES by Jackie Taylor Zortman

When the blog assignments were posted, way back in January, I immediately saw that I'd drawn Easter Sunday.  So, to those of us who celebrate it, this is a special holiday.  However, since I'm not certain that religion is an appropriate topic for the Oak Tree Press blog, I will simply focus on the happier element of it all, such as young children, bunnies and baskets of colored eggs and chocolate.

Where I live, at 8000 feet in the Colorado mountains, this can be an absolutely gorgeous and sunny day or a cold and blustery, snowy one.  Our third option is that "in between" segment of either mud (if it rains) or dust (if there's wind).  But we rarely get to enjoy spring and leap right from winter into summer.

Here in "the boondocks" we still have unpaved roads and no home mail delivery, in spite of the fact that it's a busy, bustling tourist town.  Those who are members of our city government will tell you that it's all about ambience and quaintness.  And nobody ever forgets that the original "True Grit" was filmed here or that it was the home of John Wayne, Debbie Reynolds and the late Dennis Weaver.  I'm proud to say that Debbie Reynolds shopped in my bookstore all of the time and Dennis Weaver and his wife were out and about with the rest of us, all over the place.  His wife still is.  But that's a bit off topic, so back to the subject at hand.

Therefore, with our weird weather at this time of year,  the Elk's Lodge's annual Egg Hunt can be outdoors in the park or forced inside.  But, either way, it goes on.  We swap this event bi-annually with the nearest town (10 miles away) called Ridgway.  There are always a lot of happy, albeit possibly quite dirty, little urchins running around on this particular Sunday.

Since the death of our oldest grandson, about whom my book WE ARE DIFFERENT NOW is written, my family no longer gathers together as a solid unit for a big feast.  So, it has become a rather somber and individual event that my husband and I do alone.  But we manage to do something that we both enjoy.  If the weather is good, we usually go up into the mountains to place flowers on what has become known as Pete's Place, the memorial site of our grandson's demise. 

So, whatever your family chooses to do on this day, I hope that you have much happiness, love and, most of all, peace.
 

My book is available at www.Amazon.com; www.BN.com & www.shopOTPbooks.com.
Contributing author to: Felons, Flames & Ambulance Rides
E-mail:  jtzortman@ouraynet.com
Blog:  www.jtzortman.wordpress.com
Author Central: www.amazon.com/author/jackietaylorzortman
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/jackie.t.Zortman
Member of The Public Safety Writers Association

 
 
 
 
 

18 comments:

Rayne Golay said...

A moving blog. Your book is on my "to read" list. Happy Easter.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Good post. Our church had an Easter Sunrise Service that was combined with all the churches in Springville--I didn't make it. Will be headed to our church though in a while to teach Sunday School and go to the worship service.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Thank you, Rayne. That's always good to hear. Happy Easter to you, too.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Marilyn, Just one more thing that you amaze me by having the time to do all that you do. Have a blessed Easter and thanks for reading the blog today.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Easter greetings my dear sister Jackie!! We're in Ft. Collins with the notorious 'grandmonsters.' Had them over for swimming in the pool here @ the hotel last night, which is one of our traditions. Blessings and love to my 'little sis' and Richard.

Hugs and love............Pete Klismet, author "FBI Diary: Profiles of Evil," and "FBI Animal House" coming in May!!

Helen Osterman said...

I know what it is to lose a child. I lost a daughter at age five. The holidays are never the same, but we can be grateful for the family we do have and all our blessings. I know she is with us in spirit.
Helen Osterman

M.M. Gornell said...

Lovely post! Madeline

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Pete - Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. I envy you being with your grandmonsters on this day. Mine are all grown and only one is in town and he's working. Hugs to you and Nancy.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Helen - I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing to have to experience and the holidays are never the same again. Blessings to you and your family.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Madeline - Thank you, Madeline, my ever faithful blog watcher.

John M. Wills said...

Good post, J, I didn't know all of those celebrities frequented your neck of the woods. Your town sounds delightful.

I understand Easter being a somber day for your family. My father died 29 year ago on Easter Sunday, thus the day has always been bitter sweet for me as well.

John

Anonymous said...

Joel Osteen talked about what he called resurrection power. That through Jesus Christ we will all have ever-lasting life. Your loved one may no longer be physically on this earth, but his spirit lives and one day you'll be reunited with him. Easter is a time to celebrate the power of resurrection. God Bless.

Joe Haggerty

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Hi John, Yes, this area has always been a movie star magnet. We aren't far from Telluride and they're thick over there. I'm sorry to hear that your father died on Easter. Those things make the day so sad. Hugs to you.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Thank you, Joe. Yes, that's what my book is about - reconnecting with the sweet soul of my grandson, Pete. It's been an amazing lesson that has taught us so much about our faith. Thank you for the inspirational words.

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

How difficult this must have been to write. It is wonderful you have "Pete's Place".

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Sharon - There were a lot of tears on my manuscript, but I felt that Pete wanted me to write this book. The reward has been the people who tell me how much the book has helped them. We can't get to Pete's Place in winter because of the snow.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I do know the pain of losing a family member, Jackie--I sort of glossed over that and shouldn't have. We lost a son to cancer and I now have a grandson with cancer.

Bookworm said...

Jackie, I loved your book from the very beginning. I could feel the love you have for your grandson and I could also feel your pain. I am so glad that OTP was the lucky publisher of this fine book. ~ Suzi