Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Report on my Free Kindle Book Experiment

First, I must say it took the cooperation of our publisher, Billie Johnson, and Suzi to pull it off.

Second, it was a lot of work.

The reason I decided to try this was so many of my writing friends were doing this--and the reasoning is if you have a series and offer a free book, those who get it just might buy others in the series.

The book I picked was Angel Lost because it was one I had fun writing and it had gotten great reviews--plus I love the cover. It is #7 in the Rocky Bluff  P.D. series.

I chose a date, let Suzi  and Billie know so it would be on Amazon as free, and started promoting it to the places that advertise free books--many are free, some charge  small amount and one that charges a lot.

Of course there was a glitch. The expensive place didn't have the dates I chose available, but did have two at the end free so rather than try to change things--too late and too much trouble--I went with how it turned out.

It was fun to watch how my numbers on Amazon Kindle free changed--Angel Lost was in the under #100 freebies for several days and wonder of wonder #1 overall and #1 in police procedurals for two days!

Of course, I was anxious to see if anyone would purchase any of the other books in the series. Since I didn't self-publish, it was necessary to wait and find out from her. Well, good news, it worked. Other books in have been purchased and reviews are going up.

Speaking of reviews, the ones that came in for Angel Lost are quite interesting. Unfortunately, a couple give away some important plot twists. Many loved it, but others didn't, and sometimes for the same reasons. What it proved to me is that readers are definitely unique and likes and dislikes are definitely diverse.

Would I do it again? Yes, but not for a long time for this series. And my advice for anyone wanting to try it for him or herself, use the free or cheap advertisers. Though the expensive one has the most outreach--I don't think I'll make my money back.

Another plus--I did have fun doing it and now have many more readers.

Marilyn aka F. M.Meredith












11 comments:

Thonie Hevron said...

Marilyn, so great to get this snapshot of your adventure. I know I'll be looking at that once I get my books out and you have helped me make a more educated decision. Again.

Thonie Hevron said...

Marilyn, so great to get this snapshot of your adventure. I know I'll be looking at that once I get my books out and you have helped me make a more educated decision. Again.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

It was quite an adventure, tat's for sure.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet Greger said...

Thanks for letting us know what happened. It will help the rest of us evaluate whether we want to offer
JL Greger, author of medical thrillers/mysteries - Ignore the Pain, Coming Flu, & Murder: A New Way to Lose Weight

John M. Wills said...

What a great experiment, and I love the results. I think a marketing tool like this will increase your readership.

Mary Montague Sikes said...

That's great, Marilyn! Thank you for sharing your experimental journey. It will surely inspire others. You were already our treasure; now you are more so!!!

Holli Castillo said...

Thanks so much for the advice--I have been contemplating a Kindle giveaway and a blog tour, but was wondering if it is worth putting out money for pay sites and pay services or if utilizing free resources would be just as effective. Thanks for the heads up.

Tekla said...

I am delighted to be added to the list of wonderful authors at OTP. Everyone has been so supportive and I look forward to my new adventure. I have already scheduled several events for my new book MOTHeR RABBIT. Those are posted on my web site and there will be more to follow.

Nicola Furlong said...

Hey Marilyn,

Well done to you and OTP on accomplishing the experiment. Not so easy when the book isn't a self-pub.

Thanks for your candor and specific results. Of great value to other authors. Cheers!

Nancy LiPetri said...

Thanks for sharing the specifics. So glad to hear you're already seeing more sales and reviews.