Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Vacation Post

By W.S. Gager
My apologies but this will be short and sweet. My blog fell in the middle of my vacation to Rome. (I know a rough problem to have!) I told myself I would write it and have it auto post but am just not that organized. So you get an abbreviated post.

Rome is mix of old and new. Every place you look is a mixture. It could be a single column that has been saved and buildings grow up around them even though the rest of the old building is lost. It is hard to imagine what it was like and how these buildings were created without the use of a power tool! A perfect example of this is the coliseum.
 
I also love photography and am enjoying taking hundreds of photos. Some are off the sights and some I take just to amuse myself. One of the funniest I found featured a custom character a la Disneyland. These Roman guards of old wander around the sights and offer to pose with you or take your photo if you will give them a Euro. I didn't give them anything but thought this was ironic when I caught one taking a break and talking on his cell phone.

This photo makes me think of writing. You try to capture the unique and incongruent to make a statement like the guard with phone. These are what make reading enjoyable and unique. You need to do this with characters or plot or setting, just little things that catch the reader off guard or make them smile with the outlandishness. Now back to sightseeing and taking more photos.

7 comments:

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

There is so much fodder in travel experiences. Terrific pictures and a good post.

WS Gager said...

Thanks so much Sharon. I have so many photos! It will be tough to get back to a writing routine.
Wendy

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Travel provides new sights, new sounds and new ideas for writing. I've been to Rome several times and always see something new. Thanks for the reminder. Beryl

Eileen Obser said...

Short and sweet and some good information in here about how travel can inform our writing. Have a great time and take lots more photos!

WS Gager said...

Eileen, I've taken over 1,000 photos! Now I have to organize them with all my observations before I forget! Thanks for the comment!
Wendy

WS Gager said...

I hope to return to Rome again! We saw so much in such a short time. Would love to be able to return often!
Wendy

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I have the same problem of taking lots of pictures; they are so hard to resist. Now my computer is full of images. I, too, hope I remember where I took all those pictures. Beryl