Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Radine asks, "Are we--just a little--crazy?"

When I was very small I had an imaginary playmate with (was I being creative, even then?) the peculiar name of "Mary Lan Too Soo."  And, I think all children give toys--trucks, dolls, Teddy bears, whatever--at least a degree of reality as they play.

Now, more than half a century since Mary Lan Too Soo, and the long ago achieving of a "sensible" adulthood, my imaginary people have names like Carrie, Shirley, Henry, Rob, and Catherine. This morning as I was trying to do some intensive studying unrelated to my current novel in progress I realized that a confrontation between Henry and Catherine had suddenly gone emotional. Catherine says, "You are so like Daddy," and, stunned, Henry stares at her while he processes this information, awakening all sorts of new thoughts and realizations. I hear and see their conversation continue until, finally (a page or so later, I suspect) Carrie intrudes with, "Well, I'm glad that's settled. Shall we now discuss the problem at hand?"

And we go back to fraud, murder threat, and female abduction--simple, everyday stuff in my life.

Where does this come from?   Do I dare admit how my mind works these days?  But!!! Isn't it fun?

Given the acknowledged publication and publicity problems fiction writers face today, it must be fun. But, do we admit to "outsiders" that we enjoy living in an imaginary world just like the child we once were?

Do you admit it, as you come back from your imaginary world and say "Oh, I'm sorry, could you repeat what you just said?" and risk the peculiar stare you, too, may face?

Thank goodness, along with a (very) active imagination, which, I admit, can be a plague at times, I am also possessed (possessed is a good word here) with comfort in being thought of as--ahem--different.

Do you really want to play it safe by writing a book on "Diet hints that work" or "How to fix that plumbing problem yourself?"  

No?   Hmmm?    Do tell me I am not alone.

Radine Trees Nehring at http://www.RadinesBooks.com

    

12 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I had an imaginary dog when I was little, named Ladybug. (I was afraid of the real animals.) And yes, now I have a head full of imaginary people and animals.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

You are not alone. I write children's picture books because I love to live amid the animals and creatures I create, even if it is only for a little while. Beryl

Billie Johnson said...

Good to hear from you, Radine!

Patricia Gligor said...

You are definitely not alone, Radine. My characters are so real to me that I have to remind myself that, well, they aren't. I think our (overactive?) imaginations keep us young. At least that's my fervent hope. :)

Amy Bennett said...

I live with my "imaginary friends" day in and day out... sometimes I get to write their stories down and I remember doing the same thing when I was a kid. I guess I'm still a kid (in a good way!)

Nancy LiPetri said...

I am so with you. And afraid of how my mind works, like earlier this week when I heard they were searching for someone on the lake... And with my novel finally coming out soon, it's scary to know my readers will discover how my mind works.

Radine Trees Nehring said...

WOW--I admit to surprise. I was sure fiction creators had active imaginations, but oh my, to find that so many like Patricia, Nancy, Amy, Marilyn, and Beryl join me in enjoying our various fantasy worlds is hooray fun. I love this. Thanks, gals. (Do guys have imaginations that work like this??? (I admit that I shudder to think what some things they imagine might be--from heresay for the most part, but, too often, from newspaper headlines.) But I don't know about the male fiction writers. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your comment, Billie, and thanks, Marilyn, for giving me the link. I have printed out your message to save in my OTP Blog file.

Now--if I can just get this to post--it's the second try.

Robert Lopresti said...

I wish I could get my characters to argue with me. It has only happened twice, I think - both times with female characters. (Hmm...)

Radine said...

THANK YOU Robert for adding your experience here. Hmmm. Are we females more argumentative in "real" life? If so, do we argue rather than fight physically? Or?

Radine said...

Aggravation? Took me four tries to get to a captcha I could read accurately. Now, wonder what they'll throw at me. (And people wonder why some of us don't post on blogs very often.)

Carolyn Niethammer said...

My imagination continues through the night. My dreams, which I can never recall, are cinematic with many characters and scenes. When I wondered if I was creative enough to write fiction, I thought how my brain is able to spin these fantastic tales without even trying, so with a little work, maybe I could cook something up.

Radine Trees Nehring said...

I guess it takes imagination to promote our writing too, now that methods of promotion are largely an authors' responsibility and (some times) bookstores less willing to host events. HOWEVER

First weekend in October I will be at Hobbs State Park (in Arkansas) to help celebrate during their Fall Festival. My table will feature my novel set partly at Hobbs -- A FAIR TO DIE FOR, from Oak Tree Press.

And, when approaching any bookstore, Indie or big box, I present an event, not a book signing. For example, in June, promoting my novel A WEDDING TO DIE FOR helps sell my book but also whatever else the store has--magazines, "How to" etc. related to weddings. (I volunteer this, and no one has ever turned me down.)