Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Evening of the Dragonfly

Cover Reveal - Painting First, Then the Book

"Evening of the Dragonfly" watercolor ©MMSikes
A couple of years ago when I completed a mixed water media painting, I thought it would someday become the cover of a book. As I studied the painting more closely, I discovered the image of a dragonfly emerging in the green and yellow mist, formed by spraying the surface of Yupo with beautiful paints created by Robert Doak in his Brooklyn studio. Because I had developed a special love of Dragonflies as I wrote my novel, Night Watch, I knew at that moment the painting would have special significance.

You can imagine how excited I was when dragonflies became a part of the story in my new novel, Evening of the Dragonfly. Like the dragonfly in the painting, these dragonflies emerged spontaneously and flew into my writing. I now had a book to go with my dragonfly painting.

What is it about dragonflies? I've read that they are filled with magic and spiritual energy. They have the ability to travel into another dimension, then re-emerge. They relate to water and are able to move across it. They symbolize deeper meaning and growth beyond the limitations of the physical. The life of a dragonfly can be two to three years or more with most of that time spent in the aquatic phase.

Here is the final cover of the just-released book. I do not yet have a copy to hold in my hands. In the months to come, I hope that my readers will enjoy and understand the symbolism of the dragonflies in my story. I would love to hear thoughts on my book and, also, on the ways authors use symbolism in their own writing.


BTW, this is a Timeless Love story. My novel, Hearts Across Forever, was Oak Tree's first Timeless Love book.



Mary Montague Sikes (from my blog, Notes Along the Way)


11 comments:

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Beautiful picture. I hope you included a short description in your book of the symbolism discribed in your post.

I too get inspiration from my drawings and photographs. Because I write children's picture books, I find that images are an integral part of telling the story, developing characters and detailing the setting. Often it is the cover and the illustrations that will sell the book. Beryl

Helen Macie Osterman said...

Beautiful cover. I find it inspiring. I,too, used a painting as inspiration for a love story I wrote many years ago, titled, Song of the Rails.
So many authors are also artists.
I think it's because the right side of our brains are more developed. That's the creative side.
Helen Osterman

Eileen Magill said...

What a gorgeous picture. I am immediately drawn to it, and I would definitely pull that book off the shelf and directly to the check out line!

Dac said...

Very nice job. Intriguing covers are so important!

Nancy LiPetri said...

The beautiful art drew me into reading the post, and the post left me very intrigued. I look forward to reading more!

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thank you, Beryl, Helen, Eileen, Dac, and Nancy for your nice comments! I hope this cover will draw readers in. You are right, Helen, many artists are also authors.

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

Stunning cover! I so admire artists who create such lovely things for all of us to enjoy. And you write, too! Wowzer, you have it all going for you, Monti!

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

I hate to do this to your comment section, Monti, but is anyone else having trouble sending items to Jesus at the addy he gave (which is different from the one Billie gave)? I get failure notices with both. And my Yahoo is all wonky so I can't see or post in our loop, thus this route.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Your paintings are always gorgeous. What a talent. Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Sent you an email, Sharon.

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Thanks, Marilyn and Sharon!!