Monday, January 19, 2015

I Am Expecting a Book--Not Unlike Expecting a Baby

Well--it is a bit different, but this is what I do when I know my latest is about to be a reality.

First, the only way for people to know you have a new book coming is to tell them. This takes a bit of planning. Everyone seems to have their own ideas for promotion, but whatever it may be it needs to be organized ahead of time.

Because I like to do blog tours, I have to start planning long before the book comes out. Finding blog hosts and arranging the dates takes time. Once that's done, then original posts for each one must be written. This takes a lot of time, so it's best to do one at a time--I usually do it later in the day when I through with other writing chores. But if I think of a good topic at another time, I'll jot it down so I don't forget.

In the meantime I try to schedule some in-person events. I'll be participating in a Local Author's Day at the Madera County Library in February. In April two events, a Mystery Authors' Symposium in Fresno, and a solo event at the Porterville Library which I may turn into my launch party.

I have a phone interview scheduled in June, and in July the Public Safety Writers Association's annual conference.

I'm sure other events will come up as the year progresses.

On a regular basis, I post on Facebook and groups on Facebook.

This is just the beginning of my marketing plan which is an on-going process.

Oh, you want to know the name of my new baby? It's Violent Departures, the next one in my Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery series.

No, I don't have a cover yet, but it's coming.

If you haven't tried this series yet, the one that arrived last year was Murder in the Worst Degree. I had a great time writing and promoting that one.

Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith


It's available as a print and Kindle book.

You can visit me at http://fictionforyou.com
and
my own blog at http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com


Blurb for the latest RBPD mystery, Murder in the Worst Degree: The body that washes up on the beach leads Detectives Milligan and Zachary on a murder investigation that includes the victim’s family members, his housekeeper, three long-time friends, and a mystery woman.

Bio: F. M. Meredith aka Marilyn Meredith is the author of over 35 published books. She enjoys writing about police officers and their families and how what happens on the job affects the family and vice versa. Having several members of her own family involved in law enforcement, as well as many friends, she’s witnessed some of this first-hand. 

12 comments:

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

Like birthing a baby, yeah, I get that! Lots of conception germination, expectation, planning, organizing, and then the delivery of the book. The big difference, to me, is all the labor pain happens early on. The actual delivery (holding the book in my hands) is painless and a delight. Your productivity is astounding, Marilyn!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thank you, Sharon! I do what I can.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

This is the second blog post by Marilyn that I've read today. With 35 books on the market and all of the other things this woman does, I am just astounded at her endurance and energy. Yet another interesting post, Marilyn. Good job!

Mary Montague Sikes said...

Marilyn, I think blogs are important, and you do a great job with yours. Thanks for making a new post for OTP!!!

Lorna Collins - said...

As always, you do the most!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks everyone for respondng to this. Sharon is the one to talk to about Twitter. I hope to be more active here--I'll keep an eye on when it needs another post.

Billie Johnson said...

This is exaactly why I consider Marilyn to be the GOLD STANDARD in book promotion!

Holli Castillo said...

I always said having a book published is exactly like giving birth, just as loud but not quite as messy.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Again, thank you! And Holli, you are so right, not so messy, thank goodness!

Beryl Reichenberg said...

You must write 24 hours a day to be so productive. It's a joy to see how productive you are. You keep us all on our toes. Best wishes for your new addition. Beryl

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

No, Beryl, I don't write all day every day. I try to write some in the a.m. 5 days a week. Seldom write much after lunch.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I'm not productive after lunch either, Marilyn, and always need a nap in the afternoon. Mornings are good after tea, of course, and sometimes in the evening. But at times creativity comes in fits and starts. Beryl