Saturday, February 7, 2015

Spy Dreams or How I Took an Unexpected Trip

When fiction spills over into the everyday, it's time to pull back, don't you think?

It happened to me last night and the end result could've been traumatic. It wasn't, but it could've been. I've decided to focus my attention in a different direction for a while. It'll be healthier.

These past three weeks I've been focusing intensely on refining and editing my paranormal suspense manuscript. It's a WWII spy story and I identified with the story. I worked longer hours than normal and pushed past my tolerance level. The end result was that, by the end of the workday, I was exhausted to the point of not being able to do another thing. Totally out of it. Consequently, some of the exercises and the varied work I do each week for balance went by the wayside. Result? Lack of balance.

I'm paying for it now. I'm finding it hard to relax. It's taking longer than usual.

Last night I had a wake-up call.

Just before dawn I engaged in a powerful dream. As the dream developed I found myself chased by a spy and engaging in personal defense of a kickboxing nature. Even in my dream, I wasn't very good at it and the spy was winning. I got more passionate about my defense and brought the dreamed defense into real life. My leg kicked out, hit the dresser and, next thing I knew, I was falling to the floor.

From deep sleep to the rude awakening of falling out of bed and landing on a hardwood floor is not the way I like to start my day. Fortunately, I must've been loose enough from sleep because I didn't hurt myself--other than my leg which rammed against the dresser. No bruising yet, but I expect some.

I'm adjusting my exercise regime so my dreams are nonviolent. Today, I'm going swimming. In between the raindrops over the weekend I'll do some gardening and get my bike out. I've learned my lesson.


What about you? Have you had your life spill into your dreams and the dream come back and affect you in life? Tell me about it.

8 comments:

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

Now that is bizarre, JoAnn. I have never heard that someone truly fell out of bed. We all have dreams of falling, but it never really happens. What a lesson for us all to pay attention to our bodies better, and our minds, too, with meditation or prayer. A cautionary tale, for sure!

Carolyn Niethammer said...

I have very cinematic dreams also although I never can remember them other than there were lots of characters and lots of action. That was what convinced me I could write fiction. If I could do that when I was asleep, I figured there must be some creativity lurking in the back of the brain.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I quite often remember my dreams, but they aren't anything I could write about.

Sharon Arthur Moore said...

Talk about synchronicity! A friend was telling me yesterday that scientists believe there may be a connection between dreaming and dementia. Preliminary studies lean toward vivid dreamers not being as prone to developing dementia. Interesting, eh?

JoAnnAinsworth said...

It was quite a shock to me, too, Sharon when I ended up on my hands and knees on the floor. I sleep in the fetal position so I guess when I "kickboxed" I automatically went back to that position as I fell. I, too, believe in meditation and prayer for healthier bodies and minds.

JoAnnAinsworth said...

My...what scientists think up to study, Sharon. At least my dream is on the winning side as less prone to dementia.

JoAnnAinsworth said...

Like you, Carolyn, I get the feeling I have lots of characters and action in my dreams, but I seldom remember them. A dream leading to physically kicking out was totally unexpected.

JoAnnAinsworth said...

Happy dreaming, Marilyn.