Saturday, January 16, 2016

Memoir and the Effects of Self-Disclosure

     Readers of this blog may already be familiar with More Than A Review.  It is a site founded by Donna Feyen so that readers would not find themselves buying books that exceeded their tolerance for graphic presentations of violence and sex along with drug and alcohol abuse. One reason I found Donna's recent invitation to blog on her site intriguing was that its purpose makes sense to me.  The other was that my own recently published memoir (Unsuitable Treasure: An Ex-Jesuit Makes Peace with the Past) includes scenes presenting my boyhood experience of my father's alcohol abuse. www.oaktreebooks.com/Bookstore/UnsuitableTreasure.html

     These scenes are not graphic, but as some of my readers have already told me, they can be painful to read My book deplores the social stigmatizing of addicts like my father because it isolates them, keeping them at an emotional distance from their families at a time when their families are what they most need.

     I grew up suppressing my memories of the good times my father and I had together when at long last he recovered from his addiction. I also spent too much of my maturity avoiding the truth of my deep love for him.  That was my way of denying in myself the many ways I resembled him.

     You may want to have a look at my first blog in More Than A Review as well as the site itself.www.morethanareview.com/memoir-and-self-disclosure

      The attached photo of my wife, Mary and I enjoying some champagne before dinner on our recent cruise to the Baltics may seem irrelevant, but it's not.

     

4 comments:

Doug Seaver said...

Compelling blog. Nice. And great picture.

Nancy LiPetri said...

I commend you, Ronald, on sharing truths about alcoholism and addiction. Nice post.

John M. Wills said...

Honesty can be painful at times, but also cathartic.

Beryl Reichenberg said...

Substance abuse has a caustic effect on individuals as well as their families. Thanks for the reminder.