Sunday, January 3, 2016

What Would You Ask?



I’m in my favorite bookstore perusing the front table of new fiction when a clerk approaches and asks, “See anything that interests you?”

I’m thrown for a moment. The question strikes me as peculiar. My dilemma is not to find a book I’m interested in, but to restrain myself to pick up only what I can afford, what I can read before the next time I’m back in the store. Definitely a mystery to read before I go to sleep, maybe a best seller to share with my wife, a debut novel I can recommend to my book group, and the latest offering from a favorite author, of course.

Given my quandary, what question should the clerk have asked me?

4 comments:

John M. Wills said...

May I make a recommendation?

Thonie Hevron said...

I like John's suggestion. Also, "Are you looking for something in particular?" I often know what genre I'm searching for. Could always use recommendations for new/new-to-me authors.

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Both comments above are great. My thought is, "What kind of books do you like to read?"

Stephen L. Brayton said...

Don't ask the yes or no question. Years ago, whenI worked a part time job in a toy store, the supervisor told the correct question is: "How may I help you?" It's an open ended question that requires the customer to think for a second. The answer could be, "I'm just looking." but it may also open a discussion.