Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Today is my Birthday! Marilyn Meredith

"How long are you going to keep writing?" is a question I'm often asked.

To me the answer is simple--as long as I'm able. No, I'm not going to tell you how old I am; all you need to know is I've been around for a long time.

Recently I was told by another OTP author that I was intimidating. That one startled me. She said it was because I knew so much. Wouldn't it be sad if I didn't know very much after being around so long?

Truly, I do know a lot--but far from everything--even about writing. Of course I do know a lot about writing and publishing, and how things change.

Years ago when e-publishing first began, I spoke up about it at writers' conference and was booed, told to be quiet, that nothing like that could possibly happen, no one would ever buy electronic books. When the Rocket E-reader came about, more people came around to my way of thinking.

Now I wonder with the Kindle and the Nook if anyone remembers me being mocked and made fun of because I tried to tell people an e-book revolution was coming.

That's the way writing is--things keep changing. Writing styles come and go. New ways to promote your book pop up. So-called writing rules change. Nothing ever stays the same--in life or with writing.

Because I learned so much from other writers--and still do--please don't think of me as intimidating. If you want to know something, ask me. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find it.

I was privileged to represent Billie Johnson and Oak Tree Press at the PSWA Conference in July. I shared the fact that she's not taking any new submissions until the first of the year, what kind of books she likes, and her submission guidelines. Of course people would've much rather have seen her than me--and everyone asked for her because she's a great asset to the conference.


In this photo I was on my way back to my seat after taking a photo of a panel.

Right now I'm working on my next Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery, which as yet has no title.

Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith




7 comments:

Carole said...

Happy Birthday, Marilyn. Good post. Things do keep changing, faster than ever it seems. Good post.

Lorna Collins - said...

You are the best! And you are always willing and happy to help other authors. I know because I am one of them. (Happy mutual birthday to you, too.)

Dac said...

Happy birthday, Marilyn! Nice blog post.

Janet Greger said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Are you 39 yet?

Jackie Taylor Zortman said...

Have a fantastic birthday, Marilyn, which I'm certain you will have with that large family and sweet hubby of yours. I always learn something from you and appreciate the fact that we have someone with so many books on the market, thus maximum experience.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thank you everyone. I had a fun, low key birthday. We went to our new favorite Mexican restaurant and had fantastic food. Daughter-in-law made me a chocolate cake--my fav. And we binge watched The Walking Dead.

badge # 979 said...

You are right. Social media is a challenge for me, and I am learning so much about publishing as I wait for the final proof of "Well of Rage." It's a crazy exciting business. Thank you for sharing your insights, Lynn