Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Creativity and the Writer




Have you ever wondered just what makes you creative? What drives you from the inside? Why not everyone wants to a book? (Instead of just most people.)

 One of my extra passions is to paint. I’m not very good at it. I don’t practice enough. I spend a lot of time at art museums, but I don’t study systematically. Part of me says, nor should you spend time on art when you should be spending even more time writing—or, since I DO spend lots of time writing—marketing.



However, occasionally I let myself run with the desire to play with color. Last summer I had the chance to teach in Orvieto, Italy. While I was there I was lucky enough to have a terrace. A neighbor’s cat, however, also thought the terrace was his. Very funny. I got revenge on him by taking at least a hundred photos (same cat!). I also started painting him. And when he wasn’t available, I painted the terrace. I painted the clock tower that constantly reminded me of the time. (Yes, a bit annoying to have that constant reminder.)

Even though I only did a few watercolors over the course of the whole five weeks (I had several visitors who came to stay with me—that’s what happens when you have an apartment in Italy), I enjoyed those brief dalliances into another art form.


Now that I’m back in the States, once again I’m juggling writing with the day job. I haven’t given myself the luxury to draw a single thing, much less paint something. But as I was finally putting away the last items from my trip, I was reminded how much I enjoyed this additional creative outlet.

What about yourselves? Do you limit yourself to writing to save time? Do you grant yourself additional creative space? Do you wonder if you should focus your time or if, like a true Leonardo da Vinci, you find that the best way to get better at one thing is to do something complimentary?

For more silly pictures, please visit me at http://www.dr-ransdell.com.






7 comments:

Beryl Reichenberg said...

I think exploring different areas of creativity enriches them all. When I have trouble writing, I turn to art. My spirit is renewed and I can write again. I loved your pictures. Don't stop. Keep going, Beryl

Channing Whitaker said...

I think it's good for writers to explore other pursuits, whether they be creative or otherwise. Crafting, traveling, fishing, preparing your taxes - you never know what will spark an idea for your writing and provide enriching details you wouldn't have had otherwise. If writing is the art you're dedicated to, the trick is just to not sweat it if one such hobby doesn't get diligent time.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Years ago I used to paint, but I decided I had to choose between writing and painting (doing two books a year takes a lot of time) and chose writing. I don't regret it. Mainly because I needed time to enjoy with my husband and family too.

Amy Bennett said...

I'm fortunate that my "real" job (or real paying job) gives me a creative outlet daily. I've been a cake decorator for 37 years and after spending 40 hours a week being creative "on demand", filling orders for what other people want, it's refreshing to be able to sit at my laptop and create what *I* want!

D.R. Ransdell said...

Thanks for all your comments! I hear the pain of having to decide between painting and writing... but I keep hoping everything will work out in the end; i.e., if I spend a little time painting, I'll be able to use that in a future book. As it is, all the time I spend playing the violin....takes up a lot of writing time, but of course it gives me all those things to write about.....

And Amy, I can see you being an ace cake decorator.....

Sandra Besso said...

The ability to be truly creative is a wonderful gift. All of us are not fortunate enough to have that special spark. When you have that gift, you must follow your heart and share that gift with the rest of us.

Sandra Besso said...

The ability to be truly creative is a wonderful gift. All of us are not fortunate enough to have that special spark. When you have that gift, you must follow your heart and share that gift with the rest of us.